The Lansing Difference
Founder of Lansing Building Products
CEO of Lansing Building Products, Ted’s eldest Son
In 1947, Ted Lansing was transferred to Richmond by CertainTeed Corporation as their Virginia roofing sales representative. In 1955, Ted received the news that his largest customer, Southern States Iron and Roofing Company, was going out of business. Ted saw this as a great opportunity to start a new roofing supply business. With the blessing of his management at CertainTeed, Ted, along with two former Southern States men, JC “Dike” Griffith and James C. “Mac” McLane, formed a partnership trading as Ted Lansing Supply Company. Dike Griffith took care of the office while “Mac” McLane handled the physical warehouse operations. Ted was involved in selling, and as President, the overall management of the company. The partnership was changed to a corporation in 1957. The company grew slowly in the beginning. The first associate hired was John Watkins, who worked for many years before retiring from the Richmond warehouse. Expansion started in 1967 with the opening of the Norfolk location. It continued to grow with the opening of Roanoke in 1969, Newport News in 1972, Raleigh in 1974, and Charleston, SC in 1977.
In 1979, Ted was diagnosed with Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (also known as ALS or Lou Gehrig’s Disease). In March of 1980, Ted died at the age of 57.
Lansing Building Products’ Mission Statement defines the principles upon which Lansing Building products was founded and grown.
The mission of Lansing Building Products is to provide superior service in supplying exterior building products to professional contractors while maintaining the highest ethical standards.
We will accomplish this by:
- Showing respect for our associates, customers, and suppliers.
- Giving our customers the best possible service.
- Achieving excellence in everything we do.